I’m asked almost daily how I manage to live “well” with Fibro. I will not sit here and lie to you and tell you that I never have a bad day. We all do. But I have a great “toolbox” to pull from when I am having one of those days. This toolbox does not include meds. I’m not a huge fan of them and believe they are just a bandaid and do not get to the root cause. So here are a few tips that I have learned along the way. This is by no means a comprehensive list and I’ll probably think of more after I publish this post.
1) Get yourself a functional doctor. These doctors will do more for you than any regular MD every will. There are many sites to locate one. Functionalmedicine.org is one of them. If you do not find a doctor there please do a Google search or check some other sites. Just because they aren’t listed does not mean they do not exist. Sometimes it takes a little digging.
2) Start on a good quality magnesium and turmeric. We are typically deficient in magnesium and should be on a good glycinate or malate form. Quality is key. Avoid supplements with fillers. A good supplement regimen is key. This is a starting point. I’m on various supplements, including Shakeology, that I use daily.
3) Get your vitamin levels checked as well as your adrenals, a mthfr test and food allergy profile. A functional doctor will do this for you. Adrenals are best tested via a 24 hour saliva test. I’m assuming if you have been diagnosed with Fibro your doc has ruled out anything else that might mimic it, i.e., thyroid, auto immune, Lyme etc. If they haven’t ask for that too. And remember our normals are not everyone else’s normals. Regular people’s normals are too low for us and not ideal. Always get a copy of your labs.
4) EXERCISE!!! I cannot emphasize this enough. We NEED to move every single day even if we don’t want to. If you want to talk about exercise programs you can do from home let me know.
5) Practice great self care. This means listening to your body and having the things available in your toolbox should a flare come on. Supplements, heat, ice, topicals, foam roller, tennis ball, reiki, massage etc. are a few of the things I have in my toolbox.
6) Find time for YOU. I swear by meditation. We need to find something that helps us to destress.
7) SLEEP! If you aren’t sleeping your body isn’t repairing itself. This creates an endless cycle of pain that just perpetuates. If you’re not sleeping find out why.
8) Water and diet are huge for us. We should be drinking atleast 1/2 our weight in ounces every day. More if you’re sweating. How’s your diet? Processed foods, soda, gluten, dairy, soy are all no no’s for us. They will create inflammation that will increase pain. And are you eating often? We cannot expect a car to run with no fuel yes? Your energy levels will be so much better if we are eating good, clean food often. Oftentimes, by just changing your diet you will be amazed at how much better you feel.
These are just a few of the things I can think of right now. If you have any questions let me know. And I always love to hear what others are doing to manage their Fibro!